Are you in dire need of a floor that will give you utmost beauty, while giving you the value for your hard earned money? Do you require a flooring option that will not only add value to your property, but will make unique due to the level of versatility it offers? All you need is epoxy flooring.
Epoxy flooring is used in both industrial and residential application. It is durable and highly versatile, thus enabling you to create the floor of your dreams. For a fact, if you can think of it, you can coat it using epoxy flooring resins that are readily available in your local market.
It is not, however, easy to have the best floor for your premises if you do not choose the best epoxy coatings. It is therefore important for you to first determine what you need for a start, and the end product you want to achieve at the end of the day. For you to get the best, you need to make the internet your most trusted partner. This age of the internet has enabled us to get all the information we need, from the comfort of our vicinity; thus it will inform you on the different types of coatings, their strengths, how to apply the, and why they might or might not work for you.
However, most experts have termed the internet as a ‘dustbin’ where everybody can post anything. It is therefore possible that some information found in websites about epoxy flooring can be misleading. This article is written on an expert level, and outlines the basic types of epoxy coatings that might work best for you, their pros and cons.
- The waterborne Epoxy coating
This is a type of epoxy flooring coating that uses water as its main carrier, but not as the major solvent. This coating is highly soluble in water.it is regarded as the easiest coating to install, thus you can do it as a fun event with your family and friends. However, it is worth remembering that epoxy flooring is not an easy do it yourself project; hence you should avoid doing it even if this type of coating comes into play. It is prudent to seek the services of experienced epoxy flooring contractor for the best end result.
It is easy to apply
Whether you need thick or thin coats applied on your concrete floor, all you need is the waterborne epoxy coating. To clean it up, you do not need high-end equipment or experts to do it, you will only need some water and the applied coating will look as glamorous as your dreams for a desirable floor.
It is waterproof
The main cause of damage on epoxy flooring is moisture. This type of coating is highly water resistant, hence your floor will always be safe from blistering and other forms of damage that occur due to moisture building up beneath the coating.
It is highly durable
- This coating is not as strong as solvent-based epoxies
- It is prone to fading
- Chemical spills can cause massive destruction.
- Pure Solids Epoxy Coating
This is pure epoxy that is not dependent on any liquid carrier. It is arguably the strongest coating of all epoxies used in epoxy flooring. If you need a floor that can withstand even the heaviest wheels, this is the epoxy coating you should consider using.
- It is resistant to environment problems
- Environmental issues such as humidity, temperatures, and aggressive weathers do not affect this coating. It is 100% solid, and is able to withstand all these conditions.
- It is highly durable
- This coating is hard, thus it can withstand traffic for a long time without exposing signs of wear and tear.
- It is resistant to chemicals and moisture
- This coating cannot be used to produce thin coatings
- They are difficult to apply due to the fact that they have a high viscosity.
- Solvent Borne Epoxy Coating
This is the epoxy coating that have been in use for a long time, especially for industrial epoxy flooring solutions. It contains high concentration an organic compound known as a solvent, which dries up fast when the epoxy is applied. It, therefore, leaves a very solid coating on the floor that can withstand any form of pressure.
- Can be used to produce a thin coating
- Has in-built cohesiveness
- It is highly versatile
- It is durable
- The coating is volatile due to the fact that it contains solvents
- The vapours it produces when it evaporates are highly toxic and can cause serious health problems if inhaled in large amounts
- They are highly flammable; thus they will encourage fire to spread rapidly in case it occurs.
The epoxy coatings mentioned above are the ones that are commonly used in epoxy flooring. Read, understand, and retain. Then, visit your contractor and ask them to help you make a decision on the coating that will work best for you.